Cristal has eight TiO2 plants distributed on five continents, two plants in the United States, one in England, one in France, one in Saudi Arabia, one in Australia and one in Brazil.
Our Bahia plant in the Salvador metropolitan region employs 2,500 direct and indirect employees. Its operating license is awarded by the state environmental agency (Inema). Our license renewal reflects two key facts:
– Full compliance with previous license conditions;
– US$ 60 million invested in operational upgrades – decisive for the environmental control procedures in place in the recent period – since the plant was bought by Millennium in 1998.
The investments were made when the company bought the Bahia plant and introduced the same standards of operational excellence as our factories in other countries. As a result, we have:
– Drastically reduced atmospheric emissions;
– Cut back water use to meet international standards;
– Improved the 6-km submarine outfall system;
– Consolidated acoustic protection to reduce noise;
– Trained technical staff to ensure the factory operates in compliance with world-class safety standards;
– Consolidated our transparency policy while holding ongoing dialogue with authorities and neighboring communities.
Click here to access the timeline to see improvements made at the plant that directly impact the environment, health, safety and community relations.